What is the Cost of Attendance at Utah Tech University?

Most current cost of attendance estimates are viewable here: Cost of Attendance at UT. Remember, these are estimates to best help you plan. Based on your personal decisions, the actual cost may be more or less than the estimated amount.

UT only estimates expenses related to your academic studies. These estimates do not include personal spending money for entertainment, shopping, vacations, etc. that are unrelated to your academic studies.


Estimated Cost of Attendance

What Scholarships Should International Students Apply For?

International Student and Scholars Office offers two scholarships to international students:

  1. New international students who apply to UT are automatically considered for the Freshman Merit Scholarship (no application required).
  2. Transfer students who have earned at least 24 U.S. credits at another institution and students who have already completed 24 credits at UT are eligible to apply for the International Merit Scholarship for Transfer and Continuing Students.

Current eligibility requirements, award amounts, and application procedure can be viewed here: ISSO Scholarships.

In addition to these awards offered by ISSO, students are encouraged to apply for scholarships from external funding sources. We encourage students to begin their search for additional funding here: External Scholarships. These awards are just a place to start! All applicants are encouraged to also do personal research on potential outside funding. Be advised that scholarship application deadlines are often 3-6 months prior to your intended start date.

UT does not currently offer any scholarship funding for applicants to the English as a Second Language (ESL) program as costs for this enrollment in the program are already posted at the absolute minimum.

ISSO Scholarships

Can I Apply for Financial Aid through the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office?

International students in the U.S. on an F-1 or F-2 student visa or a J-1 or J-2 exchange visitor visa are not eligible for federal financial aid through the Office of Financial Aid. Private loans may be available to international applicants, but U.S. federal aid is unavailable.

Note: It is against U.S. law for public universities to recommend private lending agencies to students. The best we can do is provide a record of lending organizations that have provided funding to UT students in the past. You can research these organizations here: UT Alternative Loan Providers. You are not limited to using one of these companies, this is simply provided as a historic record.

How Do I Apply to UT?

We have an entire webpage dedicated to this question! Please follow the step-by-step guide here: Application Process for International Students. This information is for prospective applicants planning to apply for admission from outside the U.S. or who are already in the U.S. on an F-1 visa studying at another U.S. college or university.

Application Process

What is the Application Process for International Applicants already in the U.S. on a visa other than F-1?

Individuals currently in the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa other than F-1 have three options for studying at UT:

  1. If your current nonimmigrant class allows you to study, you can be admitted to UT under your current status. It will be your responsibility to maintain compliance with your existing visa requirements during your time as a student at UT. You can check this quick reference guide to determine whether you may attend school under your current nonimmigrant visa class: Who Can Study? Students who are not in J-1 or F-1 status do not work with International Office and are not eligible for ISSO scholarships. Application requirements for students who choose this option:
    • Secondary School Transcript
    • Scanned copy or photo of current visa
    • Visa holder acknowledgement form (available after you submit the initial application)
    • Application Fee
  2. If you want to switch to F-1 status, we strongly recommend that you depart the U.S. and apply for an F-1 visa from outside of the the country. These applicants are supported by International Student Services and should follow the International Students application process.
  3. It is also possible to change to F-1 status by not departing the U.S. and applying for change of status through U.S. Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS). We do not recommend this process for our applicants. Applying for change of status is arduous and can last up to 2 years. While your request is evaluated, you cannot leave the country, and if your request is denied, you will have to terminate your studies at UT prematurely. You are not eligible for scholarship funding until you are approved for F-1 status.
    • Not all people in the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa are eligible to apply for change of status. UT’s International Student Services is not able to answer immigration-related questions about this process and strongly encourages any student pursuing change of status to consult with an immigration attorney.

This information does not apply to DACA recipients and undocumented immigrants. These students are admitted to UT through its standard application process.

What are the Application Deadlines?

UT admits students three times a year. The priority deadline for each term is listed below:

  • Fall entry term (classes begin in mid August): July 1
  • Spring entry term (classes begin in early January): November 1
  • Summer entry term (classes begin in mid-May): April 1

Most international students apply for fall entry as this begins the typical U.S. academic school year.

Note: In some cases, applications can be accepted after the deadline. In particular, international students currently in the U.S. on an F visa attending another university are welcome to apply after the priority deadline. Applications received after the deadline are not eligible for scholarship funding from International Student & Scholars Office (ISSO).

Email iss@utahtech.edu if you have questions about submitting an application after the priority deadline.

Application Process

How Much Does It Cost to Apply?

Submitting the initial application is free. Once we have received the initial application, we contact you within 3 business days to provide a personalized list of requirements needed for admission. Among these secondary requirements is payment of our application fee. Currently, the fee is $75 for all international applicants.

The application fee is nonrefundable.

Apply Now

Can I Receive an Application Fee Waiver?

Utah Tech University does not offer application fee waivers to individuals applying from outside of the U.S.. The application fee is designed to cover our office’s cost of mailing admitted students their immigration documents and an admission package, so it cannot be subsidized. If desired, you are welcome to complete all other application checklist requirements prior to paying the application fee, and our office can then tell you whether you will be admitted prior to payment. Thus, you can be sure of your admission eligibility prior to payment. To request an eligibility update prior to payment, please contact iss@utahtech.edu after completing all other application requirements.

Do I have to Prove English Proficiency if my Secondary Schooling was in English?

All international students who did not attend secondary school in the U.S., Canada (excluding Quebec province), Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, or the United Kingdom are required to submit English proficiency scores. We acknowledge that many applicants may have attended secondary school in English or live in a country where English is widely spoken. However, we still mandate proof of English proficiency as academic English can vary significantly around the world, and we want to ensure that you will be successful in an American university setting. We also require English proficiency scores so that we can determine eligibility for scholarship funding from International Student Services.

The following are acceptable forms of proving English proficiency.  The test date must be within the past two years:

  • Overall TOEFL score of 68 + (Reading section – 22+ & Writing section – 24+)
  • Overall Academic IELTS score of 6.0+ (Reading – 6.0+ & Writing – 6.0+)
  • Duolingo English test score of 95+
  • ACT English score of 17+
  • SAT Writing/Language Score of 24+
  • Accuplacer Reading Score of 239+ and Sentence Skills Score of 237+
  • Overall iTEP Score of 3.5+
  • 24+ transfer credits from another U.S. college or university (credits from ESL courses do not count)
  • High school transcript reflecting graduation from a U.S. high school.

If your scores are lower than the scores listed above, you can only be issued an I-20 for the English as a Second Language (ESL) program. If you do begin with ESL classes, you can pursue a degree after completing the ESL program. ESL may last from 1 semester to 4 semesters, depending on your previous education in English.

Application Process

What if my Transcripts are not in English?

Secondary school records should be submitted with a certified English translation. Secondary school records should not be sent to a credential evaluator.

College/University transcripts from an institution outside the U.S. must be sent to a credential evaluation service if you wish to apply coursework you have already completed to your UT degree requirements. UT recommends using World Education Services (WES) for this service.

The credential evaluation service verifies that your coursework abroad is equivalent to the coursework taken at a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. There is a fee for this service. In addition to the evaluation, you will also need to provide a certified English translation of the course descriptions for all classes you wish to be evaluated for a specific equivalent; otherwise all courses will be transferred as elective credit.

  • Note: It is not required to transfer university credit from institutions abroad, and UT does not guarantee any transfer credit will be approved.

Word Education Services

What if I have a college/university Transcript?

All graduate student applicants must submit College/University transcripts.

Undergraduate students transferring from a U.S. institution of higher education must submit their official transcripts to UT. Please request a transcript be sent directly to the Registrar’s Office at records@utahtech.edu. This transcript must be sent from your previous institution; our Registrar’s office will not accept documents sent to us from an applicant’s personal email account.

If an official transcript cannot be sent electronically, please have it mailed to:

Registrar’s Office
Utah Tech University
225 S. University Ave.
Saint George, UT 84770

Earned credit from a non-U.S.-based institution abroad? If you want to apply credits from your past studies to your requirements at UT, you will need to send your transcript to a credential evaluation service. After payment, they will determine if your course work is equivalent to course work taken at a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. You will also need to provide a certified English translation of the course descriptions for courses to be evaluated properly. Otherwise, all credits will be transferred as elective credit. We recommend using the World Education Service for credit evaluation. If a different company is used, UT will have to further examine the foreign credits which will delay the admission process. View more about this process here: Transferring Credit from Abroad.

Note: UT does not require that students submit foreign college/university transcripts for undergraduate transfer students, nor do we guarantee that the credits will transfer. Transcript evaluation is required for graduate program applicants.

Transferring Credit from Abroad

How Long Does It Take To Process My Application?

After submitting the initial application, you will be contacted within 3 business days with information regarding your personalized list of admission requirements.

Once all requirements are met (including payment of the application fee), applicants are typically notified within 1 week. To request a status update, email us at iss@utahtech.edu.

What is UT's Minimum GPA and Standardized Test Score Requirements?

Utah Tech University is an open enrollment institution. We do not have a minimum GPA requirement, and the only test score that we require is one of the required English proficiency test scores.

How Can I View Courses Offered at UT?

You can view a list of course descriptions here: UT List of Courses.

To view the schedule of courses for upcoming semesters: UT Course Schedule.

  • Use this link to determine which courses are offered during the upcoming semester, as well as the date and time the course is offered. Not every course listed in the course listing is offered each term.

Schedule of Classes

How Do I Register For Classes?

Upon arrival, all International Students will individually meet with the International Student Services Academic Advisor. The Academic Advisor will provide one-on-one personal care to help you through the class registration process.

International Transfer students from other U.S. Institutions wanting to pre-register before arrival can contact the International Student & Scholars Office (ISSO) Academic Advisor before arrival to discuss class registration. Contact iss@utahtech.edu to be connected with the International Student & Scholars Office (ISSO) Academic Advisor.

When Do Classes Start?

Please use UT’s Academic Calendar to determine important university dates, including the start date for upcoming semesters.

If you are unable to identify the date you are interested in, contact iss@utahtech.edu for assistance.

UT Academic Calendar

Are International Students Required to Live on Campus?

No. New international students are not required to live on campus. You can review housing information (both on-campus and off-campus) here: UT Residence Life. If you want to live on campus, it is important to apply as soon as possible as the available number of rooms is limited.

Note: Living on campus is required for international transfer and continuing students who receive the International Merit Scholarship for Transfer and Continuing Students.

UT Residence Life

Can I Work In The U.S.?

International students, who are in lawful, full-time status, can work an on-campus job for 20 hours a week when school is in session. During school breaks or a vacation period, students may work more than 20 hours a week. Jobs vary from administrative support positions to working in dining services. Average pay is approximately $12 per hour. Once you arrive on campus, please contact the International Student & Scholars office (ISSO) for a list of departments employing students.

Can I Compete on a UT Athletic Team?

International students are welcome to compete for a spot on our NCAA Division I athletic teams. Selection for these teams is highly competitive, and International Student & Scholars Office has no role in determining which students are selected for teams or whether they are provided athletic scholarship funding. All prospective students interested in being considered for participation in one of our teams should complete a recruitment form for their sport of interest. You can access a recruitment form here: Athletics Recruitment Forms.

If a recruitment form is not available for your sport of interest, please contact the coach for that sport directly.

UT Athletics: Recruitment Forms

Didn’t find the answer to your question?

Send us an email: iss@utahtech.edu


International Students & Scholars Office

Email: iss@utahtech.edu

Phone: 435-879-4687

Office: Student Activity Center (SAC), 106

Apply Now
Apply Now